DIY liquid wallpaper - preparation and application
Let's consider how you can make and apply liquid wallpaper on the wall yourself.
It is important that the materials that are "at hand" are used. Also significant - there is no need to prepare a perfectly flat wall.
What are the advantages of liquid wallpaper
- Liquid wallpaper is a continuous layer of wall covering. The lack of seams is misleading - is this finish a wallpaper at all ...
- We get a completely original finish that cannot be repeated exactly. It's like a batch of one paint - you need to stock up on the entire area at once, otherwise you won't be able to create the same one with your own hands ...
- You can realize any design ideas you like, there would be a desire to do this art.
Roll wallpaper is limited by the imagination of the manufacturer, is standard and repeated in many apartments, full of seams.
- Another advantage of liquid wallpaper is that you can make it yourself, it is not so difficult, so it can be cheaper to taste.
DIY liquid wallpaper creation
Liquid wallpaper can be literally inexpensive, since the basis will be waste paper covered with PVA glue and gypsum. They suggest cutting 40 sheets of paper, pouring a little more than a liter of water, and leaving to saturate for several hours. Pour 0.5 liters of PVA glue and add gypsum - one spoonful of baby food per sheet. All this is mixed with a mixer. Add a couple of spoons of color to the mixture and mix.
This first experience, if successful, can be greatly expanded. But you can use only environmentally friendly ingredients, you do not need to supplement with "unknown chemistry" and "gas mask powder", for example.
Use paper, preferably clean without dyes and printing, trimming threads, Christmas tree glitter, mineral chips (marble, quartz, mica ...), colored plaster instead of gypsum. Other popular cheap components are finely-finely chopped cotton wool and sifted sawdust. The universal fastener is PVA glue. Manufacturing, as we can see, is the simplest, and the field of experiment is limitless.
Create wall art with two or more colors
You can independently prepare compositions of different textures and different colors. Make a two-part pattern on the wall, for example. This can be a variant with a clear border - the top is light, the bottom is dark, for example, or a pattern laid out along prepared lines.
If you can't draw on the wall, then you can use a large template made of oilcloth or paper. It can be both internal and external - the stencil is covered with wallpaper along the edges, or laid inside the outline.
In addition to different colors, you can also use texture. For example, the base will be smoother and the overlay pattern will be more raised.
How many wallpapers do you need
With a layer thickness of 2 - 3 mm (usually), one liter of liquid wallpaper will fill 4 squares of the wall on average. If you want the room to be uniform, you need to stock up on the entire area of the walls at once, while saving will not work, since the first experience is usually given with an overspending of material. Creating a thin layer of uniform thickness is not as easy as it might seem at first glance.
One of the techniques that significantly reduce the thickness of the layer and the consumption of wallpaper is to paint the wall in the same color as the wallpaper. Then some thinning of the layer, gaps will not be conspicuous, and you can save a lot.
It is important to prepare the base and apply correctly
The wall for liquid wallpaper does not need to be perfectly aligned, as is done for painting or pasting with thin wallpaper - some instability of the layer in this case is a design element. This greatly simplifies and reduces the cost of obtaining the final result - first-class interior decoration.
- But the overall alignment must be flawless. Potholes are sealed with a cement-sand mortar (plaster), the wall is leveled under a spatula with starting plaster, if necessary, or plastered completely along the beacons. Only light plasters are recommended, they distort colors less.
- The wall is primed. This is an important step to protect, strengthen the structure, reduce absorbency and improve the adhesion of the layers and proper anchoring. Prevents the paint from penetrating deep into the pores and thus simplifies rework.
- The next stage is tinting with water-based paint. You can take the cheapest composition, add color, get the color of the wallpaper, and roll along the wall, giving it the desired shade.
- Then you can proceed directly to the application of the wallpaper itself. You will need a mixing drill, ingredients (if you do it yourself) or ready-made wallpaper from the store. Spatulas or floats for applying wallpaper plaster to the wall and smoothing it out. Anchoring on the wall should take place without drafts and overheating by the sun.