How to tile a bathroom - both walls and floors
Laying tiles in the bathroom on the floor and on the walls on your own will help save a tidy sum.
In addition, the process of laying tiles is not devoid of creativity, therefore, many seem to be fascinating, the result, as a rule, pleases and gives a feeling of satisfaction with the work done. But it all starts far not from tiles, but from capital construction works.
We build a bathroom under the tiles correctly
If the floors and ceiling in the bathroom will not lie at 90 degrees to the walls, and each wall, in relation to the neighboring ones, will not be at 90 degrees either, then it will not work normally to lay the tiles in the usual pattern. The tile itself has smooth edges and precise angles - 90 degrees. The seams are made strictly vertical and horizontal - for the usual laying pattern.
If the walls are not evenly spaced, then accordingly, the trimming of the tiles along the edges of the surfaces will be of different sizes, for example, decreasing from the ceiling to the floor, which immediately catches the eye and looks ugly.
In such cases, as a way of salvation - you need to unfold it with a "diamond", the slanting will be less noticeable, or simply spread in fragments in the center of the walls. However, it is possible to close the crooked edged row near the inclined wall with something that needs to be thought out in advance.
The alignment of the walls refers to major construction processes, which is what the user needs to do if he wants to get a classic interior.
Making flat surfaces
Wall and floor surfaces for tiles must have a curvature of no more than 2 mm per meter. They must be dry, durable, non-vibrating and non-absorbent if the craftsman wants to lay the tiles evenly quickly and without problems.
In bathrooms, tiles are usually laid on concrete and brick structures covered with plaster or on plasterboard sheets of partitions.
The usual procedure for preparing the surface of the floor and walls is leveling, more often with a cement-sand mortar on a solid foundation. Such a composition is the cheapest and suits the basis for masonry work, since it has a rough surface that adheres to the glue ...
Plastering is often carried out on lighthouses. A screed on the floor, even a fine one, is also mandatory for lighthouses.
The second mandatory process is the priming of the plaster before laying the tiles. It is performed in two passes to completely reduce the absorbency of the base and increase the strength of its surface layer.
Features of laying tiles on drywall in the bathroom
Cardboard has excellent adhesive properties, therefore it adheres tightly to the glue. In addition, it gets wet well, while the top layer of gypsum is also soaked. As soon as possible, water intake from the glue will not allow it to acquire normal properties. As a result, the tile can move away from the base along with the cardboard or by itself ... Plasterboard lintels in the bathroom are permissible, but they must be hydro and steam insulated from the inside and prepared for gluing correctly.
How to prepare drywall for tiling.
- The base is primed abundantly at least 2 times with complete drying of the layers.
- The sheets are putty with a thin layer of 1 - 2 mm of the finishing composition - a good protective layer is created on the drywall, it is also possible, when soaked, it will make it possible to separate the coating without destroying this base.
- The plaster is generously primed.
When the base is solid, even and primed, then it is very, very simple to put tiles on the floor and on the walls in the bathroom. By the way, after finishing the ceiling and preparing the walls, a flat floor is made.
The beginning of the process of laying tiles in the bathroom
- A laying scheme is selected - where to leave solid tiles, where are edged. For walls that are fully visible, often the same large trims around the edges look better. In general, solid tiles are laid in the red corner both on the floor and on the walls, and the scraps are hidden in opposite invisible corners.
- Tiles are selected. Recently, more and more large tiles are being laid, which do not look bad. As a rule, for the bathroom - in light and calm colors.
- A styling pattern is selected. Walls tend to look better with vertical and horizontal long seams, some intricacy is sometimes welcome on the floor ...
- A layout diagram is made, the marks of the rows are drawn and the starting line is calculated taking into account the width of the seams - usually 2 mm for the walls and 3 mm for the floor.
- The starting line for walls in the bathroom is usually chosen at the level of the second row from the corner and from the floor. A horizontal starting rail is attached to it to give the row an accurate position and prevent slipping.
Next, the tiles are laid on the wall in the bathroom, and then on the floor.